The ECG Methodology: Why Coaching Works
The El Camino Group’s (ECG) coaching methodology is designed to engage clients in becoming powerful and effective leaders by setting specific goals and creating action plans to help each client realize his or her unique potential. ECG also works with leaders to help them shift their perspectives and see how they can leverage their strengths to create inspired, motivated, and engaged teams.
ECG’s coaching style is deliberately “freeform,” allowing us to meet the unique needs of the client at any given time. Using situational challenges the client faces each week is the most powerful way to effect new approaches and strategies. Our coaches leverage a variety of strengths-based tools (some of which have been introduced in the Engage program) to help their clients take effective action and increase their impact.
The focus of the coaching depends on the needs of the client, which may include:
• Teamwork and collaboration — building powerful strengths-based teams and a healthy, collaborative work culture
• Powerful communication and influencing skills — motivating others, using dialogue as a management tool, being able to persuade and negotiate more effectively
• Personal power — having a strong sense of self-confidence and a deep knowledge of personal and unique strengths that can be leveraged to make a greater impact
• Conflict management — being able to work with difficult people and resolve differences to one’s own satisfaction
• Building bonds — improving the ability to connect with others and form strong relationships
• Initiative — overcoming procrastination and taking action
• Intentionality — thinking and acting “on purpose,” and in deliberate congruence with the client’s values, strengths and who he/she is
• Resilience — handling adversity and setbacks
• Stress management — enhancing the ability to work under stress and pressure
• Emotional self-control — keeping destructive emotions in check
Regardless of the content of any individual session, each session concludes by identifying actions that will move the client forward toward reaching the goals he or she defined at the beginning of the coaching engagement.